Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 3 and the Metric System

Customer service is a unique entity in the Philippines.  A Philippine will refer to you as maam or sir a total of about 17 times in a 2 minute conversation.  Everything ends with sir or maam.  Hello maam, how are you maam, would you like a drink maam, a diet coke maam, yes maam I’ll get you a diet coke maam, thank you maam, thank you maam.  That’s one continuous run on sentence, no breaks in between.  I love the Philippines, a waiter just came up to me and asked me “would you mind if I ask you a question? Are you the new Priority Club boss?  They told me she looks like a movie star and I thought that was you”   These people are doing wonders for my ego.  And you guys already know that I’m  the president of my own fan club as it is.
Since I won’t be doing my Bikram for then next 3 weeks I decided the free weights are going to be new best friend.  I don’t know if it’s the climate change or the environment but it was a crappy performance at the gym.  I can usually push and pull 60 lbs on the pully shoulder machine.  This morning at 45 or so I was struggling.  I was determined I, and that machine wasn’t going to win.  I adjusted the incline ab bench to about 20 lbs which is challenging but nothing outrageous,  I just couldn’t’ get my engine running, I was struggling like a newbie at the gym.  I though I was going to bust a vein in my forehead and a few people looked at me like “you alright honey?”Don’t look at me like mofo!!! I do Bikram, I sit in a room that’s 110 degrees and sweat until I start hallucinating, this is child’s play.  Note to self, kilograms not lbs.  kilograms is more than lbs. nuff said. 
Wasabi potatoe chips.  Yum and yuk.  You know how on a drunken night right before you got to bed you may or may not have access to a large bag of cool ranch doritos or taco bell burritos?  Well imagine having the taste of wasabi on your mouth the morning after.  That’s not the case but when I tasted the m I thought, please no  one give me wasabi potatoes chips at 3am if I go on a binder in the Philippines.
It’s about 9pm and I’m at the Club Copa a Cuban themed bar in the hotel.  There are 7-8 Americans boys at the bar. .  They have high and tight haircuts and are all tatted up.  Not military, they’re not clean cut enough and not cops, not serious enough.  The only black guy in the bunch is wearing a t-shirt with the work “inmate” written on the back.
There’s a couple of overdressed, Philippino chics wearing a size 6 when they are size 8, wearing to o much make up and white “pumps” and flip phones at a side table.  Kind of like the Human Trafficking girls at the line in Vegas.  Let me say that Philippine girls are very pretty. They are a mix of Asian and Latina.  Hotties, now the girl across the bar from me is not a hottie but she does have a motorcycle helmet at her side.  That’s hot in my book even if your jeans are from 1984 and you’re wearing blue eyeshadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment