Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A New Hotel

We’ve stayed at 3 hotels so far on this trip.  A 5 star hotel in Manila, a 4 star hotel in Clark and now a 3 star hotel in Tarlac.  Work is in Tarlac and our hotel in Clark that’s  about an hour commute each way.  Brutal, especially when you’re commuting at night, by the time we get to work we’re ready for another nap.  So we decided to change venues and stay at the Microtel.  We checked it out last week and got a quick tour of the place before we moved.  There’s no restaurant, no room service, no gym, iron, blow dryer, elevator, running track, salon, pool and the bathtub is old.  But I DON”T care because it does have free Wifi, a microwave, a fridge that gets colder than room temperature, and it doesn’t smell at all.  No carpets to soak up any mystery smells.    Just smells like a room.  and I bought 2 vanilla candles at the “American Bazaar” store, where everything is 66 pesos, about $1.20 and now it smells like heaven. 
I didn’t watch any of the Superbowl.  Nobody knows what that is here.  I could have watched some of it online but what’s the fun in that?  Watching the Superbowl by yourself without chicken wings, beer  or commercials? Nah. 
Our new hotel has breakfast in the small lobby in the mornings.  It’s very basic, very basic.  I just want to eat something and go to my room.  There’s about 6 food selections and 2 servers.    There’s a suspicious looking dish of veggies that smells delish. It’s  boiling and cooked so in my eyes it’s safe.  It’s a sort of long stringy cabbage/lettuce kind of veggie.  So I’m chewing it but it’s doesn’t break down very easily at all, so I’m forced to just swallow.  Tasty.  But hard to chew not because it’s tough but because it’s kind of slimy.  Some of it gets caught in my back teeth and at the same time I swallow.  But the slimy stringy cabbage doesn’t go completely down my food pipe because the other tip of the SSC is stuck in one of my molars.  So I try to lodge it out of my teeth and I can literally feel a tug in my stomach because that’s how far it’s gone down, but it won’t go down all the way because it’s lodged in my tooth.  Deep breaths, deep breaths again.  I need to stop writing for a moment because talking about it is grossing me out.  But dang that was some tasty slimy cabbage.
Random thought: The Philippines, why is it called “The” Philippines.  The United States.  But not The Germany or The Kenya.  The Sudan, and now soon to be something called South Sudan.  Or The Bronx. But not The Mexico.  I have a lot of down time, I’m going to get to the bottom of this.
This is so awesome, I’m watching the Hulk, the original episodes of the Hulk! He always seems to be running away in super slomo from the explosive situation that he’s gotten himself into. RUN, RUN!!  People are so mean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment