Thursday, February 3, 2011

Scooby Snacks, Ramen Noodles and San Miguel.

I never knew how good PB&J could be. 
I thought I had everything under control.  The stomach is under control, I’m adjusting to the hours and getting some good sleep.  I wake up yesterday morning and BAM I have a rash on my chest.  The bad news is,  It aint pretty, little bright red bumps.  The good news is that it doesn’t itch and I woke up in the middle of the “night” (3pm) and it was gone.  All gone, what a relief.  That bad news is that when I woke up this morning it was back again.  Not as red and ugly as the day before but still there.  Could it be the cleaning products?  The PB&J, stress, bedbugs?  I went to the onsite nurse and she just stared at me like a mute.  “Well?!  What do you think?” She took my temperature in my armpit (normal) and  handed me a little packet of calamine lotion.  Thanks a lot.
Movies  and TV I’ve watched in my hotel room:
Australia: Hugh Jackman, you beautiful thing you.
Nothing In Common: 80s movie with Tom Hanks, Sela Ward and Jackie Gleason http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_in_Common
Get Smart: Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway.  He’s hilarious and she’s annoying.
Scream
Little Black Book with Brittany Murphy and Holly Hunter, wow that was a bad movie, well for how much I saw of it.  Brittany Murphy weighed  about 80lbs in that movie.  Poor girl, RIP.
Oprah’s New Kids On the Block reunion.
CNN: history being made in Egypt.
I also like to watch the Hotel Info channel. Sometimes I just sit on my bed and stare at it. The crappy radio in my room is all static.  The Hotel channel has a smooth asianish /comtemporary instrumental elevator tune, it plays continuously.   It makes me feel  all Kenny G-ish.   These melodies can also be heard in certain Chinese buffets.  Like that big one in Overland Park across from the Walmart on 94th and Metclalf.   The same “songs” over and over again.  Over and over again.  China Star or Panda Star or some kind of Chinese star. 
Speaking of Chinese, Happy Chinese New Year, Year of the Rabbit. I was trying to get to bed yesterday and heard some major ruckus outside my window.  Sounded like a jack hammer, what the!!!????  It was 4 hotel dudes playing the some huge drums and about 5 guys wearing one of those red lion dance costumes.  The celebration lasted as long as it took for them to dance around the gazeebo.   1 minute max, then the party was over. 
For me it's the year of the Bikram Yoga Rabbit.
Misc food and stuff prices:
1 can of San Miguel Light Philippino beer – 30 pesos.  About 80 cents.
1 can of Heineken – 207 pesos, about $4
1 medium bag of Lay BBQ potato chips 150 pesos $3.40
McDonald’s Egg Mcmuffin, hash browns and Tang (aka OJ) 95 pesos $2.15
Coach purse -  1000 pesos $22 (it might be a knock off)
2 pieces of Fried chicken and a big ole scoop of white rice in the work cafeteria-37 pesos =$.84
7 days of Wifi at the hotel  $2500 pesos=$54
1-6 liter  bottle of water – 67 pesos – $1.50
 If you order a burger and fries in a restaurant here you would think the fry guy forgot to put fries on your plate because you just get a small handful.  Not like home where it’s half the plate.  Everything is smaller here, the people, the egos, the noise level, the prices. 
The only thing supersized here are the Ramen noodles.  The ramen noodles in the convenient stores and grocery stores are the size of a bowl that takes both hands to pick up.  And that shit is tasty.  That’s my new thing, Pho Ramen noodles from 7-11 and sprite zero.
SuperSizeMe Ramen Noodles- $53 pesos  $1.20.
I’m currently watching Scooby Doo in Tagalog, the Philippino language.

No comments:

Post a Comment